Friday, November 21, 2014

A Few of Our Favorite Things





Rory's Picks*

1. Peek-A-Boo Barn App
This was a lifesaver during our trips to San Francisco and Dallas. The app features a barn with a door that opens when you touch it. Each time it opens, it reveals a different animal inside the barn, says its name, and makes the corresponding animal noise. Rory has already learned several animal names and sounds through this app. We also downloaded Peak-a-Boo Halloween, Peek-a-Boo Christmas, and Peek-a-Boo Fridge (Featuring a very strange-looking pickle.) These apps are great for long car rides, waiting in line, and keeping your toddler busy while you're trying to watch KUWTK cook dinner. I don't feel guilty about using the ipad every once in awhile when I know she's learning from the activities. Let's face it- listening to me make animal noises isn't nearly as entertaining.




2. Whats Inside?
This toy was another awesome consignment sale find. It's a large cube that comes with several stuffed objects (frog, butterfly, plane, car, etc.). The objects fit through the slot at the top of the box, and it's designed for a child to stick his or her hand in and feel around for a particular object. It's great for learning the names of things and distinguishing between their shapes. It also helps children learn object permanence. (Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean it's not there.) Rory isn't able to name all of the objects or search for a certain one yet, but she loves pulling things out of the box. (Is it wrong that all I can think about is Dick in a Box whenever I see it??)




3. Humidifier
These colder temps mean the heat is on more often which means the air is super dry. My hands are already chapped and I've traded in my light lotion for my Eucerin cream. (I love this stuff...just don't try to turn a door knob within an hour of applying it.) To combat the dryness in Rory's room, we started using a humidifier again. (I'm not convinced it actually helps, but Marcos is a believer.) Rory was obsessed with it from the moment we turned it on. She can't get enough of it. It's the first thing she points to when we enter her room, and her favorite thing to do is put her face in the vapor.(Can you blame her? We all do it.) I'm waiting for the novelty to wear off, but it's been over a week, and her love shows no signs of fading. Remind me again why we buy toys?


Lindsey's Picks

1. Thred-Up
One of my friends turned me onto this online used clothing site. I bought several pairs of maternity pants for a great price when I was pregnant with Rory. I like that the shipping is always free, and they have excellent customer service. There was a mix-up with one of my orders, and they replied to my email right away and reimbursed me immediately. They have high-end brands for much less than retail, and it's all in great condition. I haven't bought anything lately because I stocked up on clothes for Rory at the JBF sale, and dressing up for me these days means wearing my "nice" yoga pants. Marcos' annual company party is in January though, so I'll be in the market for a new dress soon, and I just received a $20 off coupon in the mail.



2. Bark Thins
Buy them. Trust me.

Heaven in a bag. 
3. Shutterfly Photo Books
I hate shopping for Christmas gifts. Luckily the only people we really buy for are our parents. I find the process of shopping for the perfect gift completely agonizing. I'd rather get a root canal. Usually I just let my sister decide what to get and mail her a check, but not this year! We ordered our Christmas cards from Shutterfly, and I saw that they also make photo books. So, Marcos and I used a template to create a photo book of Rory's first year. It was super easy to do and it turned out really well. There are lots of customization options, and you can add as many pages as you want. I know several people who make the books for special events, too, like weddings and vacations. Shutterfly also has 40% off sales pretty much everyday, so we won't end up spending a ton of money. Hopefully they like it because that's what they're getting every year from now on.

It's what's for Christmas.
*Runners up include chasing the vacuum, eating anywhere but her high chair, the word "wow", and rummaging through the bathroom drawers.

No comments:

Post a Comment