Monday, January 26, 2015

Oriental

The following conversation occurred between me and a cashier at a local shop specializing in gently used clothing and furniture. *

Cashier: Your daughter is beautiful. What's her name?

Me: Thank you! This is Rory.

Rory (pointing to herself): "Ory."

Cashier (Ringing up Rory's new $6 REI down coat): Rory...that's interesting.

Me: Um, thanks. It's Irish.

Cashier: So, is she adopted or something?

Me: Uh, no. She just looks nothing like me. Her dad is Japanese.

Cashier: Oh, wow. You don't see very many mixed Oriental kids.

Me (grabbing my bag of "new to me" purchases): No, I guess you don't. And actually her dad is Brazilian.

Cashier: ...

Me: Nevermind. Have a good day.




My mixed Oriental kid making Brazilian brigadeiros. 

*Okay fine, we were at Goodwill. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment